Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Just Keeping You in The Loop

Get it? Loop?...Crochet?...cuz it's all loops and this a recap and...yeah.....

So in case you were wondering, Sammy and I did finish our afghans in time to meet our Christmas deadline. They weren't presents for anyone other than ourselves, and we enjoyed lazing around with our new blankets on a very wintry Christmas Day. Ooohhh so cozy. :)


We both just learned how to crochet in October and these were our first projects. If you've always wanted to learn crochet too, here is the link to the video we liked best for learning the basic stitches. And here is the granny square tutorial we followed to make our blankets. FYI we love The Crochet Crowd tutorials. Michael Sellick (aka Mikey) is so good at clearly explaining and demonstrating what needs to be done. Here he explains how to join the granny squares,  explaining the advantages and/or disadvantages of each method. Sammy and I both chose the single crochet option.

After we finished our blankets, we decided to try some faster, smaller projects. Sammy made this beautiful scarf.
She made all the flowers using this tutorial (again from Mikey) and then decided to join all the flowers together as a scarf.

I followed this tutorial, roughly, and made a camouflage beanie for my husband on Christmas Day. (I told you we loved The Crochet Crowd.) I used an "h" hook because I didn't have the size "g" used in the pattern. So to make if fit snugly, I had to stop increasing 2 rounds earlier than the tutorial called for. But it fits him perfectly and he loves it!


 Right now we are working on crocheting a rag rug. I have wanted one forever and after cleaning out our office closet (again!) I realized I just might have enough scrap material to try and make one. Sammy has been a huge help ripping and rolling the material. I won't take the time to explain much about the rug at this point but I can show you a picture of how far I've gotten. It is currently 2'x6' but should measure at least 6'x10' when I'm done and hopefully will replace that dirty old rug seen under our dining room table. :)


We've actually got a lot more fun (and inexpensive) projects to share with you that you might enjoy trying too, but we can't sit at the computer all day so....next time! :) 

Hint: Our next post involves paint!

No comments:

Post a Comment